Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Advent ABCs: C

C is for Cards



Here I am just outside our garage door. I am on my way to the mailbox. It is so much fun to go to the mailbox these days because we are already getting Christmas cards - wow! The cards have pictures of Christmas decorations like trees and snowmen.

Wondering what's in the box? It's raisins! As I said yesterday in the car on the way home, "Raisins - Delicious."

You can see that I am holding our Christmas card from last year. In case you cannot see our 2008 Christmas card in my hands, I wanted to post it. I was such a cute baby, no?

We are excited about this year's card too. Aunt Callie took wonderful pictures of me for this year's card. This last picture is one of the pictures from my photo shoot. You can see a few more on Aunt Callie's website: http://callieannephotography.com. Thank you, Aunt Callie; we love your photography.

By the way: the custom of sending Christmas cards started in Victorian England. Earlier, some adults had written Christmas letters. But letters took time to write; and people wanting to share season's greetings with many others had a daunting task.
In 1843, British businessman Sir Henry Cole asked artist John Calcott Horsley to print some Christmas cards. One thousand cards were printed in black and white and then colored by hand. The cards, which depicted a happy family raising a toast to the recipient, were criticized for promoting drunkenness. In 1851 Richard Pease, a variety store owner, commissioned the first printed Christmas card in the U.S.
London printers Charles Goodall & Sons became the first to mass-produce Christmas cards. In 1862 they created cards saying “A Merry Christmas.” Later, they designed cards with various designs, including robins, holly, mangers, snowmen, and even Little Red Riding Hood.

In other news:
I was talking on skype with mimi and pops. We had been talking a while and I wanted to look at my friend Sam's blog again because he has a funny music video up. I told momma I wanted to "See Sam's music." Momma said we needed to wait because we were talking to mimi and pops so I told mimi and pops: "Call me back."

1 comment:

The Sparkly Queen said...

Owen you are such a clever boy!