Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Sail to Galveston

We got home today from a GREAT trip to Galveston.  We took Breezing Up (that's the sailboat) all the way from Clear Lake to Galveston - it's a 30-mile trip (one way).

 This picture was taken in Galveston Bay at the beginning of our trip.

 Check out this Breezing Up cap!  It is Uncle Bill's but I borrowed it for the trip.


 Uncle Bill sailed with us on Monday.
Here we are talking about the GPS, compass, and other helm gadgets.


 My local friends know that Houston has a Ship Channel that allows large ships to come very close to downtown Houston.  The Ship Channel goes from Houston past Galveston and then into the Gulf of Mexico.  We traveled within and along the Ship Channel for part of our trip.

 We saw so many interesting ships.

 That's Galveston in the background.  And how about that cool shrimp boat?



 We made it!  This is the Harbor House.  It is a hotel and marina where boats like ours can use the boat dock.  The large, beautiful boat in front is the Elissa.

 This is across from Harbor House.  Texas - oil.

 A close-up of the Alyssa.  We docked just behind the Elissa and to the right of Harbor House.

Monday night we walked to dinner in Galveston and then slept aboard Breezing Up.  Do you know there are enough beds to sleep 5 people?

On Tuesday, Aunt Nettie drove to Galveston and we ALL went to SCHLITTERBAHN!  Oh yeah!  I have gone every year of my life and I LOVE it!  We had so much fun.

Aunt Nettie and Uncle Bill headed back to Houston Tuesday evening and momma, daddy, and I slept aboard another night.  We got up Wednesday morning and started our trip back to Houston.

And we're off!  Don't look now but this oil platform MOVES!

 More shrimp boats!

 There is always something interesting to look at.


 I love sitting on the bow and watching the waves.

 I also enjoy taking a little time with media.  Here I am using my reader book.

 It was a beautiful day for sailing!

 Daddy was the skipper!

 And the Angry Bird expert!
Momma was there too but the problem of taking the pictures is that you are not in them.

 How about this HUGE ship!

 I got a little tired . . . 

 Home . . . this is almost to our dock in Kemah.

 It was an AMAZING trip!


No comments: